Call us now on +44 (0) (0) 203 743 7444

Sole Representatives

For overseas companies that want to expand or establish a commercial enterprise in the UK, a sole representative visa offers an immigration route for senior employees recruited outside the country to enter the UK.

Deciding which immigration route route is the most suitable often requires a strategic approach based on conveying the purpose for the business visa, who is applying for it and how much time will be spent in the UK.

Our specialist immigration barristers have the expertise and knowledge necessary to help senior employees of overseas companies come to the UK to expand their business. Whether you wish to set up a UK branch or establish a commercial presence through a subsidiary, contact us for strategic and commercially minded immigration advice.

Representative of an Overseas Business Visa

If you are from outside the EEA and Switzerland and want to come to the UK to set up a UK branch or wholly owned subsidiary for an overseas parent company it is possible to apply as a representative of the overseas business wanting to expand.

The eligibility requirements include the following:

  • The sole representative must be a highly skilled individual with extensive industry knowledge and experience;
  • Be employed outside the UK as a senior member by an overseas company, without a majority shareholding, capable of making decisions on its behalf;
  • Intend to establish a commercial presence, such as by registering a branch or setting up a wholly owned subsidiary for the company in the UK;
  • Capable of supporting yourself during your stay in the UK without help from public funds; and,
  • Capable of proving your knowledge of the English language.

As well as the representative meeting the basic requirements above, the company being represented must itself meet certain eligibility criteria and prove that it is a genuine commercial enterprise.  How this is done depends on the circumstances.  

Overseas Business Visas

If you are a sole representative coming to the UK to establish an overseas company’s presence, your family may also be able to join you. Your family member must be a dependant, such as a spouse, partner or a child under 18, and meet the eligibility criteria to be granted permission to join you in the UK. These criteria include access to sufficient funds so they can support themselves as well as passing the general immigration eligibility requirements.

If these requirements are met, a visa can be granted for up to three years. Should you need to stay in the UK for a longer period, you can apply to extend your leave to enter the UK for another two years. You may also be able to apply for settlement, also known as indefinite leave to remain, if you have been in the UK for five years.

 Immigration Advice for Sole Representatives

Our specialist immigration barristers have the expertise to offer advice specific to your circumstances, ensuring you apply for the visa appropriate for your business.

Get in touch

Your Name(*)
Please let us know your name.

Your Email(*)
Please let us know your email address.

Company name(*)
Please write a subject for your message.

Invalid Input

Please let us know your message.

Anti-Spam verification, please enter the characters shown.
Anti-Spam verification, please enter the characters shown.Invalid Input