Call us now on +44 (0) (0) 203 743 7444

Temporary Workers

Moving to the UK to work, train or conduct research on a temporary basis can be an invaluable way of gaining essential work experience and broadening your horizons. Being based abroad doesn’t have to be a barrier to sharing your knowledge with your UK counterparts or performing in the UK in the creative or sporting fields. Under the UK’s immigration laws, a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) visa may offer you a route to experiencing life in the UK.

At Skilled Migration we can advise and guide you to the best immigration route so you can live and work in the UK for a short period. Our specialist immigration barristers have experience of helping both individuals and businesses from abroad and the UK to find solutions to a wide range of immigration matters.

Work in the UK Temporarily

Under the UK’s immigration laws it is possible to move and work in the UK for a short period in a variety of different circumstances, which are now laid down in the immigration rules under “Tier 5” of the Points Based System. Tier 5 contains various categories which lead to different types of Tier 5 visa.

The Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) visa categories are:

  • Creative and Sporting - for a sports person or creative worker, such as a musician or member of a film crew, and has been offered work in the UK for no longer than 12 months; International Agreement – for a person working under international law, such as in a diplomatic household or for a foreign government, for up to two years;
  • Government Authorised Exchange – for a person wanting to carry out research or work experience or complete training or a fellowship as part of one of the UK government’s authorised schemes (the Tier 5 Intern Scheme is an example);
  • Youth Mobility Scheme – for people aged between 18 and 30 who are British Overseas Citizens or from Australia, Canada, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, New Zealand, Monaco or the Republic of Korea;
  • Religious or Charity Worker – for a person who wants to do religious work in the UK for up to 24 months or unpaid charity work in the UK for up to 12 months.
  • The eligibility requirements for a Tier 5 visa vary depending on the type of category you fall into. In general, it is necessary to prove that you have a sponsor based in the UK and enough money to support yourself during your stay.  If your application is successful, you will be granted leave to remain according to the terms of your visa. There is some scope to switch into Tier 5 from other visa categories.

We can advise you on the law and help you carefully prepare your application for a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) visa so you have the best chance of your application being granted.  The immigration system in the UK is extremely complicated and visa officers apply a strict approach when deciding applications. If you are refused leave to remain, you may be able to challenge the refusal by way of an application for judicial review, depending on your circumstances.  However we ensure that every possible step is taken to make sure that you get it right first time.

Immigration Law Experts

If you want to work in the UK temporarily and would like to know about the Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) visa, contact us for expert and professional immigration law advice and for cost-effective and reliable solutions.

Get in touch

Your Name(*)
Please let us know your name.

Your Email(*)
Please let us know your email address.

Company name(*)
Please write a subject for your message.

Invalid Input

Please let us know your message.

Anti-Spam verification, please enter the characters shown.
Anti-Spam verification, please enter the characters shown.Invalid Input